Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Recalling a Moment

Today was one of those days where you wonder if an event will stick in the mind of your child forever. You know, you have them, events that happened when you were very young but you can recall very clearly....

As I recall my event, I was around 5 years old. My Mom, my sister Justine and I went grocery shopping at Riverside. Back in those days, you could trust society to not abduct your child, so off to the toy area I went while they did their shopping. For some reason, I chose to go find my Mom before she came to my isle. I could not find her and this scared me to death. I went up to a total stranger and asked if they would take me home with them. Just at that point I saw my sister out of the corner of my eye and I excitedly said, "There's my Mom!" I guess I embarrassed my sister by saying that when she was only 16 or 17 years old.

This afternoon Connor was at the grocery store with me being a handful as usual. He wanted to take in his new Ironman Kids Meal toy from Burger King so I thought that would be a good idea since he wouldn't bother me with wanting one of the many junk toys that he has from that store already. Connor wanted to touch his Ironman toy on every item on the shelves. I told him that if he doesn't keep that toy off stuff that it's getting put in my purse. Just about that time, Connor did a fast run around my cart right as I was swerving my cart for a lady who was stacking shelves. The outcome was not pretty. Connor lost his balance and into the Ragu sauce he went. It was terrible, I had jar after jar fall to the floor. I'm trying to pick up my kid while jars are smashing and spaghetti sauce is splashing. All the more, I'm trying my best to keep the jars on the shelf from doing the domino effect. Never in my life have I seen such a mess. (Well I can't forget dropping a gallon of milk at walmart, but a different story for a different day!) I think I had 4 or 6 jars of sauce broken on the floor. I had to try really hard to keep my composure. I wanted very badly to laugh my ass off right there on the spot, but I had a kid that was scared half to death. I had a quick talk after we got out of that isle as to why it's very important to listen to me and ride on the front of the cart. I hope this situation impacted him. He won't be forgetting this any time soon as I won't let him. Every time we step foot into the grocery store he'll get a gentle reminder as to why it's important to listen. :)

4 comments:

Jessica said...

oh.my.god. LOL!! ok. At the store it may not have been *as* funny, but I bet you will tell that story for YEARS to come!!!

Anonymous said...

Did you forget about the time when we left you at Gilbert's restaurant? Now that was a defining moment. LOL - Mom

Traci said...

We all have those memories. I probably would have still giggled. Does he still like spaghetti sauce?

Jodi said...

Mom - I STILL haven't forgiven you! ;-)